Foot and Ankle Therapy (Podiatry)
Podiatry is a medical specialty that addresses foot, ankle and lower leg ailments. Since our movement is possible only if our feet and other parts of lower legs are healthy, a comprehensive foot and ankle care is vital for us. You have to go a long way and your legs and feet need to be super strong to walk healthy for lifetime. Walking, running and active sports take their toll on your feet, causing many problems, which can be kept at bay with proper detection, intervention and care.
There are different causes of foot problems including:
- Diabetes and cardiovascular diseases (A podiatrist plays a major role in helping diabetes patients successfully manage/avoid foot-related complications.)
- Arthritis (A foot has 33 joints and they can be affected by arthritis.)
- Foot and ankle injuries
- Muscle and tendon problems
- Skin disorders
- Toe joint and nerve disorders
- Toenail problems
At AktivOrtho™, we offer special care for foot and lower leg ailments that include:
- Diabetic Foot/Diabetic Foot Syndrome and non-healing diabetic foot ulcers
- Heel and foot pain
- Diagnosis and treatment of skin and nail conditions of feet like Athlete’s Foot, fungal infection of nails, ingrown toe nails, corns and callouses and plantar warts
- Assessment for flat feet, high arches, gait analysis and bio-mechanics of walking
- Measurement of correct shoe size by ‘Brannock Device’ and advice for right kind of foot wear
- Advice for orthotics e.g. evaluation, fabrication and custom fitting of artificial limbs and orthopaedic braces
We have a highly qualified and very experienced podiatrist on board with specialization in the prevention, detection and treatment of all kinds of foot disorders, diseases and related injuries.
Dr. Govind Singh Bisht, MBBS, CPP (Fellowship in Podiatry, BIDMC, Boston, USA), is a renowned podiatrist and foot specialist who started his medical profession in 1992 and focused his practice on podiatry in 2001.
He is a visiting consultant at AktivOrtho™ in both the Vasant Vihar and Gurgaon centres. Dr. Bisht is also the clinical director and regional clinical advisor (Asia Pacific), ‘Fit Feet Program’ of Special Olympics International.
He completed his MBBS (1986-1992) from S.N. Medical College, Agra University (U.P, India) and Fellowship in Podiatry (in 2001, under Dr. John Guirini, DPM) from BIDMC, Harvard (Boston).
Dr. Bisht is known to provide the highest standard of podiatry care and AktivOrtho™ is pleased to have him on board.
He is committed to provide the highest standard of podiatry care while our proven physical therapy regimen ensures your feet remains as healthy as you want. We use state-of-the art techniques involving orthopaedics, dermatology, physical medicine and rehabilitation to treat our patients.
Benefits of our treatment:
Benefits that you may expect from AktivOrtho™ include:
- Successful avoidance/management of diabetes-caused foot problems
- Healthy and active feet and skin
- Improved movement
- Zero pain/pain management
- Understanding of excellent foot care
AktivOrtho™ foot tips for diabetes patients:
Here are a few tips that, if used, can help diabetes patients to keep their feet healthy and ‘aktiv’.
- Check and wash your feet every day.
- Dry your feet well after bath and washing of feet, especially between the toes.
- Keep the skin soft and smooth. Use moisturizing cream if your skin is dry but avoid putting cream between the toes.
- Wear extra width, extra depth and well cushioned footwear. Always wear cotton and woolen shoes.
- Trim your nails straight and avoid deep cutting as you may injure the skin around the nails.
- Never use hot water bottle, or heating your feet electrically. Do not dip your feet in hot water.
- Avoid bathroom surgeries for corns and calluses. Do not use corn cap available in the market for removal of corns and calluses.
- Exercise regularly as per the advice of your doctor.
- Never neglect any cuts, injury to skin, swelling, redness and infection of skin and nails. Take a prompt medical advice and avoid self-medication.