Dr. Rana Chengappa, sports doctor at AktivOrtho, New Delhi and Gurgaon
Dr. (Col) Rana K. Chengappa, clinical director, sports medicine, AktivOrtho™, has devoted 25 years of his service in the armed forces with 15 years exclusive sports medicine practice. He held a variety of responsibilities and positions such as sports medicine specialist with the Army Sports Institute where he not only set up the centre but also established the treatment and testing protocols for the elite sports persons. After his graduation from Armed forces Medical College, Pune, he was trained in sports medicine at the prestigious National Institute of Sports, Patiala and, also underwent training at the Sports Medicine Institute at Havana, Cuba.
He has also worked as a sports medicine and rehabilitation specialist in various appointments as well as Head of Department, Physical Medicine Rehab and Sports Medicine at the prestigious Army Hospital (Research & Referral) and, Sports Injury centre, Safdarjung Hospital. He was a consultant with various sports teams, most notably, the Indian boxing team. Dr. Chengappa has been associated with various national and international sports events and is the current treasurer of the Indian federation of Sports Medicine.
Dr. Chengappa’s educational qualifications include MBBS, AFMC Pune (1989), Diploma in Sports Medicine NSNIS, PATIALA (2000), Certificate course in Human performance evaluation and kinanthropometry, University of Havana , Cuba 2003.
- Planning and establishment of Sports sciences faculty for Olympic level training facility of Army Sports Institute, Pune (July2001 to May 2007).
- Setting up testing and monitoring of performance protocols for Athletics, Archery, Boxing, Wrestling and Weightlifting (July2001 to May 2007).
- Establishing talent selection methodology for the ‘Catch them young program’: Mission Olympics.
- Worked as Sports Medicine specialist and Head of department Physical Medicine, Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine, Army Hospital (Research &Referral Hospital), Delhi Cantt May 2007 to Oct 2010.
- Set up the physiotherapy and rehabilitation unit of Sports Injury Centre, Safdarjung Hospital 2010
- Sports Medicine experience –June 2000 till date
Tenure in Army: (Total service 28 June 1989 to 6 Feb 2013 – 23 years 8 months)
- Medical Officer, Counter – insurgency ops J & K (1990-1993)
- Medical Officer , UN Peace Keeping Force, ANGOLA, AFRICA (1995-1996)
- Medical Officer, Desert Operations, Rajasthan (1996-1998)
- Sports Medicine specialist , Army Sports Institute ,Sports Science Faculty , 2000 – 2007
- Sports Medicine specialist, Army Hospital R&R, Delhi Cantt May 2007 to Oct 2010.
- Commanding Officer ,Field Hospital ,Assam,2010 to Feb 2013
Decorations and Awards:
- Chief of Army staff Commendation card 1991
- Chief of Naval Staff Commendation card 2010
- GOC in C Commendation card 2011
- Team Doctor, Indian Women Hockey team (1999-2000)
- Team Doctor, Indian Men Boxing team (2000- 2007)
- Sports Medicine Specialist, 1st AFRO-ASIAN Games
- Sports Medicine Specialist, National Games , Punjab
- Doping Control Officer, National games , Guwahati
- Sports Medicine Specialist, Central Polyclinic games Village, 4th World Military Games
- Treasurer, Indian Federation of Sports Medicine
- Treasurer, Indian Association of Sports Medicine
- Member ,Anti–Doping committee Commonwealth Games 2010
- Member, Expert committee for setting up National Institute of Sports Sciences(Min of Youth and Sports , Govt of India)
- Tutor for MPT students College of Allied Health Sciences , Manipal, Karnataka 2001 – 2002
- Lecturer on Exercise Physiology and Nutrition for PG Diploma course on Nutrition and dietetics ,University of Pune 2001 to 2002
- Teaching Experience for Post Graduates, Nursing and Para Medical staff(Special emphasis for Physiotherapy internship and Post Graduate programs ) at Army Hospital (Research and Referral)–MCI recognized PG teaching Institute affiliated to Delhi University and NBE – 15 May 2007 to 20 Oct 2010
- Reviewer for Medical Journal Armed Forces India
- Authored several papers including chapter on Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation in Textbook of Diabetes by Dr (Lt Gen) Sachdeva
- Visiting Faculty, Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation Sciences, Jamia Milia Islamia University
LAST EMPLOYMENT – SPORTS INJURY CENTRE, SAFDARJUNG HOSPITAL
Col Rana Chengappa was involved with the setting up of the Rehabilitation and physiotherapy centre right from the identification of equipment and making the technical evaluations. He also planned the layout of the physiotherapy, rehabilitation gymnasium and biomechanics lab. Col Chengappa planned the post–operation rehab protocols for various interventions. His appointment was Consultant Sports Medicine, Sports Injury Centre, Safdarjung Hospital from 7 Feb 2013 to 31 Mar 2014.
His areas of interest are exercise physiology, children in sports and training for high performance athletes.