Neck Pain treatment at AktivOrtho™
Pain around the neck is a common medical condition. Neck pain can come from a number of disorders and diseases and can involve any of the tissues in the neck. It is undoubtedly a painful condition and has considerable impact on a person’s daily functional activities and productivity. Some common infections can also cause neck pain such as virus infection of the throat, some rare infections such as tuberculosis of the neck and meningitis. Abnormalities in joints and bones are also known to cause neck pain. Neck pain is also associated with headache, facial pain, shoulder pain, arm numbness. While headaches are felt at the back of the head, pain may also spread to the sides and frontal part of the head.
There are a number causes behind neck pain including:
- Degenerative disc disease
- Neck strain
- Neck injury such as in whiplash
- A herniated disc
- Pinched nerve
- Poor posture
Symptoms associated with neck pain:
- Nerve pain: often a result of nerves becoming pinched in the neck. Neck pain can even radiate down the arms and at times, the legs giving one a feeling of sensation of pins or needles or tingling in the arms. This pain is known to get much worse at nights.
- Muscle spasm: a spasm is a sudden, powerful, involuntary contraction of muscles. In this condition, one experiences big pain in muscles with a feeling of them being stiff and knotted.
- Muscle ache: one feels an intense pain either at the middle of the back of neck or it may ache on one side only.
- Fall in range of motions: this includes a person finding it extremely difficult to turn his head to either side of the shoulder, or experiencing limited movement while tilting the head forward toward the chest or tilting it backward.
It is important to review the history of the symptoms associated with neck pain. The evaluation may include the following:
- The doctor notes and observes the location, intensity, duration and radiation of the pain.
- Factors such as: is the pain getting worse or improving with turning or repositioning of the head need to be considered.
- Nerve involvement with neck ache is examined through evaluation of the nervous system.
How to avoid neck pain:
Neck pain can be prevented by avoiding any kind of injury to the neck. One has to be extremely careful at minimising the risk of injuries during sports and related activities. Neck strengthening exercises are also helpful.
At AktivOrtho™, our orthopaedic doctors, physio’s and sports therapists all work in close collaboration and practice a combination of both passive and active therapy where we not only treat your problem area but also train you to maintain your optimal level of strength and flexibility.
Since AktivOrtho™ provides a wide range of solutions, we can develop a treatment program that best fits each patient or client’s requirements but you would first need to undergo following check:
The Functional Neck Check (90 mins):
One of our physiotherapists will provide the status of your neck function and performance so we can best advise you what you can do to improve your neck condition and how best to prevent any further pain or debilitating episodes. Such a check includes:
- A 3D performance test of neck muscles and computerised testing of back strength and abdominal muscles
- Test of recruitment of muscles
- Detailed examination with a physiotherapist including assessing mobility of the spinal joints
- Test of peripheral neural system
Following the above test results, you will receive a comprehensive description of the actual condition of your neck and partly of your lumbar spine too. Based upon these results, we will give you the information you need to know:
- what, if any, limitations you may have as to what you can do and not do for your neck
- how you can continue with your preferred activities in daily life, in sports or at your workplace
- what you can do yourself to prevent further occurrences of pain episodes
- which treatment is most advisable for your particular ailment e.g. medication, which kind of physiotherapy and exercises you require to restore function
Ms. Sangeeta Sharma:
“Replace scepticism about your health with satisfaction and reassurance. Continuous focus by physiotherapists at AktivOrtho™ makes you independent and better than before. Incisive diagnosis and precision in personal care guaranteed”.
“I had heard about AktivOrtho™ from a school friend, Dr. Sanjay Manchanda, at Gangaram Hospital, in New Delhi. I was diagnosed with postural cervical syndrome and thoracic hypo-mobility. Working on the computer for long hours only made it worse. Prior to visiting AktivOrtho™, I had undergone several fitness programs over a course of 9 months at another centres. In September 2013, I made my first visit to AktivOrtho™ with severe pain and swelling on the right side of my neck, which got compounded with painful knots in the shoulders. I would wake up every morning with pain and stiffness. I couldn’t cope up with the daily 10 hour computer work anymore.
I was a bit sceptical when I started out here but very soon this scepticism was replaced by satisfaction. Surely, this facility addresses your problems in such a manner that you wish to just keep coming here again and again. The therapists work toward making you free of any dependency. It amazes me how my therapist, Dr. Akshay Arora, can stay focussed for full 60 minutes. And he does that through the day with every patient without a break (as I noticed).
Here’s what I found different about AktivOrtho™ :
- Precision! That’s what I have experienced at AktivOrtho™. To treat well, a doctor must diagnose accurately and that’s what Dr. Mueller did. He diagnosed with precision and his team took it through with the same precision.
- They actually aim at getting you better and not coming back to them.
Initially, I was going to AktivOrtho™ thrice a week which didn’t seem enough but now, I visit them twice aiming to take it down to once a week quite soon. I resumed my golf lessons last month. Though I haven’t attained perfect fitness level, I know I am almost there.
To conclude, it’s the German precision! I have to say from the diagnosis to the treatment to follow-up to the selection of the therapist–it all makes for one great journey and leaves you feeling good”.
COMMENTS BY PHYSIOTHERAPIST
Mr. Akshay Arora
“Ms. Sharma’s main complaint was: a severe pain and swelling in the right side of her neck with a very stiff upper back. She also had a difficulty in sitting for long hours at the desk and could not play golf because of her pain.
Her treatment started with a comprehensive back and neck assessment. The aim of the initial phase was to release her neck muscles and mobilise her locked cervical and thoracic joints. The manual therapy sessions resulted in the reduction of her pain and stiffness. The normal range of motion in the cervical and thoracic spine was achieved by the end of the four week-long manual therapy. A few of self-stretching exercises were also taught in the initial phase.
The second part of her treatment involved cervical spine training and thoracic opening exercises to facilitate some ‘functional movements’ in her neck and upper back.
At around 12 weeks, she had completed her active spine training and was able to sit for long hours on a computer and play golf. After the 12 weeks of rehabilitation, a Home Exercise Program (HEP) was advised and followed by the patient.
Currently, Ms. Sharma visits AktivOrtho™ twice a week to strengthen her upper back and maintain her fitness level under our medical supervision. The new exercise plan involves ‘whole body conditioning’ with more focus on her core musculature”.